How to store mushrooms?
Do you want to enjoy delicious mushrooms all year round, even in winter? Then there are several methods of preserving mushrooms that you should know about! In the fridge, in the freezer, dried or pickled… Here’s what you need to know to preserve your mushrooms in the best way possible!
What is the shelf life of fresh mushrooms?
The shelf life of fresh mushrooms depends on several factors, such as temperature, humidity and storage method. In general, fresh mushrooms will keep for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator, if stored properly in a perforated plastic bag or airtight plastic box. However, it is important to inspect them regularly to ensure that they are not moldy or damaged. If the mushrooms are a little wilted or have a moist appearance, they can be eaten quickly in a recipe. If not, they can be frozen or dried for longer term storage.
How to clean fresh mushrooms?
To clean fresh mushrooms, you can follow these steps:
- Start by rinsing the mushrooms under cold water to remove dirt and impurities.
- If the mushrooms are dirty or have embedded dirt, you can gently wash them with a brush or damp cloth. Do not use cleaning products, as mushrooms are very absorbent and can take on a chemical taste if you use too much.
- If you are using fresh mushrooms for a preparation that requires slicing, cut them into thin strips. If you prefer to cut them into larger pieces, be sure to cut them evenly so that they cook evenly.
- If you plan to freeze the mushrooms, it is recommended to blanch them before putting them in the freezer. To do this, boil them in salted water for about 1 minute, then immediately plunge them into ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and place in a plastic bag or airtight box before freezing.
It is important to remember that fresh mushrooms should not be washed in advance if they are to be used immediately, as they are very absorbent and can become soft and wilted if left in water for too long.
Why cut mushrooms before storing them?
It is recommended to cut the mushrooms before storing them for several reasons:
- Cutting mushrooms into uniformly sized pieces allows for more convenient storage and optimal use in your recipes. For example, if you cut the mushrooms into thin strips, you can use them in salads or sandwiches, while if you cut them into larger pieces, you can use them in cassolettes or gratins.
- Cutting the mushrooms into smaller pieces will reduce their volume and allow them to cook more quickly. This can be helpful if you plan to freeze or dry the mushrooms, as it reduces the amount of time you have to wait to prepare them.
- Cutting the mushrooms into smaller pieces also allows them to be frozen or dried more evenly. If the mushrooms are cut unevenly, some pieces may be drier or softer than others, which can affect the final result of the recipe.
It is not necessary to cut the mushrooms before storing them. If you prefer to store them whole, you can freeze or dry them as is, taking care to process them properly to prevent them from spoiling or losing their texture and flavour.
How to store mushrooms in the refrigerator?
To store fresh mushrooms in the refrigerator, start by cleaning them and cutting them into uniform-sized pieces if desired. Place them in a perforated plastic bag or airtight plastic box, making sure to let out as much air as possible. Place the mushrooms in the refrigerator and they will keep for about 3 to 5 days.
How to store dried mushrooms?
To preserve dried mushrooms, first clean them and cut them into thin strips. Place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake them in the oven at 50-60°C for about 3 hours, or until they are completely dry. Once dried, put them in a plastic bag or airtight glass box and store them in a dry, ventilated place. Dried mushrooms can be stored for several months.
How to store pickled mushrooms?
To preserve pickled mushrooms, start by cleaning them and cutting them into equal-sized pieces. Mix them in a bowl with olive oil, vinegar, herbs of your choice and salt, then put them in an airtight glass jar. Marinate the mushrooms in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before eating. Marinated mushrooms will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
How to store canned mushrooms?
To store canned mushrooms, follow the producer’s instructions and be sure to reseal the jar or pot once opened. Canned mushrooms can be stored for several months in a cool, dry place.
How to store mushrooms in the freezer?
To store mushrooms in the freezer, start by cleaning them and cutting them into normal sized pieces. Place them in a plastic bag or airtight plastic box, making sure to remove as much air as possible. Place the mushrooms in the freezer and they will keep for up to 6 months. If you plan to freeze cooked mushrooms, it is recommended that you blanch them before putting them in the freezer (boil them in salted water for about 1 minute, then immediately plunge them into ice water to stop the cooking process).
Mushrooms are very sensitive to humidity and can become soft and wilted if left in a damp place for too long. It is therefore recommended that they be stored in a dry, ventilated area and eaten quickly to enjoy their freshness and flavour. If you have mushrooms that are not consumed quickly, you can freeze or dry them for longer term storage.